The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New setup cynops or

This is a discussion on New setup cynops or within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; hi! what tou think about this setup for Newt? its good or need something more? thankyou!...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By abrenozes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: abrenozes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New setup cynops or

hi!
what tou think about this setup for Newt? its good or need something more? thankyou!

Click the image to open in full size.

abrenozes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: New setup cynops or

It looks very good. You made a good choice using sand and live plants. One small consideration you should have is that the layer of sand should ideally be no thicker than 2,5-3 cm to avoid the formation of anaerobic pockets. Other than that itīs a great substrate.

Personally i would put more plants in, or you could wait until the ones you have take over xD This species likes areas of dense vegetation. Donīt be afraid of having too many plants. Apart from the fact that the newts will apreciate them inmensely, they will also help you with water quality and block much of the light in some areas (newts like to be able to hide from the light).
You could stop using the filter if you had more plants, too. The kind you use creates very little current, but still your newts would apreciate having no current at all. Filters also create some degree of heat, and itīs preferable to avoid that.

You just need a few adjustments to make that tank perfect for your newts. Mind you, let me congratulate you for having done a very decent job creating your habitat for your newts, most people who start out with H.orientalis make plenty of mistakes you have avoided.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Do you know the names of the plants that you used ? I have a tank maturing at present that my juvenile cynops will one day move into.
Mine is filling up nicely with plants, plus a colony of snails that hitched a ride in. I however decided to put three Cloud Minnow in there to make it more interesting while we waited. They like it so much they have produced a vast quantity of babies... its going to be interesting trying to remove them all with all the plants in the way

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for your words.

about the filter, you dont think is important to plants because of oxygenation?

(sorry my english by google translator)

Old 21st May 2011   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The plants will oxygenate the water, the filter is completely unnecessary if you have LOTS of plants and you do weekly partial water changes (about 20% of the water) and the occasional spot cleaning.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 23rd May 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks.

Old 23rd May 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information

Hello my friend,
little more is there to say, because the Azhael already said just about everything!
Are indeed rare who can do what you did right the first time! I even needed a few tries! lol Parabens! Continua no bom caminho!

cheers

Lusiwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I appreciate your compliments but I admit that this is not the initial setup. I was making changes as I was reading. For example, the substrate is the third.

Anyway... thanks

p..s. Lusiwarrior, ahhh já vi quem és

Old 23rd May 2011   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

As others have said, it looks good! Is there a place where the newt can crawl up out of the water if he wants to? Also (I always ask this), is the lid 100% escape-proof?

Old 24th May 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

It has a lid in acrylic with many small holes (3 mm). 100% safe against escape.

As the platform, as already said, after hearing some opinions, I chose not to have platform and use hight plants and wide as the water lily leaf for the same purpose.

(one more time, sorry my english by bing translator)

Old 25th May 2011   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
I chose not to have platform
I told you it would be useless....Glad you finally took some action.
Nice setup btw.

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljorgo View Post
I told you it would be useless....Glad you finally took some action.
Nice setup btw.
thanks

you're right

Old 25th May 2011   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

The platform could proof to be very important. An adult, healthy newt in an stablished, fully cycled, heavily planted tank is VERY unlikely to ever come out of the water. However, there are situations in which the newt may need to, and if unable to, it could potentially drown.
If the tank is not fully cycled, then fluctuations in water quality may force the animal to leave the water, even if itīs just for a short time. High temps have even a stronger effect. If temps get too high, a newt may become terrestrial (this is a natural response to the problem in nature). A terrestrial newt will desperately seek to get out of the water as its internal physiology changes. If unable to scape the water, it can drown. Iīm not saying it will, but it can definitely happen.

Consider the platform a safety net. If something should go wrong, the animal will use it to scape the inadequate conditions, or simply just to rest for a little while (this may happen specially at night).
Since you are still in the process of learning and adjusting your care for the newts, iīd recommend, like Jen has, to provide a platform, just in case. Once completely settled, and once everything is exactly as it should be, then it will become pretty redundant and unnecessary, and possibly completely unused, although itīs still never a bad idea to provide just a small above water surface.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 26th May 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

I understand what you say, but do not think that the tall plants serve the same purpose?

Old 26th May 2011   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Not fully. For a healthy, stablished animal, it does, they are content just to stick their heads out of the water while standing on thick vegetation. However, a stressed, an ill animal or one that is physiologically changing to become terrestrial will strive to completely abandon the water and thatīs when offering the possibility is crucial to avoid problems.

Non Timetis Messor.

LinkBack