The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Toes grown together

This is a discussion on Toes grown together within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Not really a sick newt, but did not know where else to post this topic. I see a number of ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MartinS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toes grown together

Not really a sick newt, but did not know where else to post this topic.

I see a number of juvenile Cynops Orientalis that toes have grown together. I wonder where it comes from and whether to avoid it is / was. Precisely because there are a number.

Who can tell me more about it?
MartinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Red Eft14 has started on the right path
Default Re: Toes grown together

its a mutation dont breed them if you dont want future generations to be like that
Red Eft14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Where have you seen these newts with toes grown together? I can only remember seeing one photo of such a thing, and it was not a Cynops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eft14 View Post
its a mutation dont breed them if you dont want future generations to be like that
How do you know this with certainty? I suspect you are taking a guess based on some other info that you have heard. I wouldn't rush to the assumption that this is genetic.
Old 14th June 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
Where have you seen these newts with toes grown together? I can only remember seeing one photo of such a thing, and it was not a Cynops.

How do you know this with certainty? I suspect you are taking a guess based on some other info that you have heard. I wouldn't rush to the assumption that this is genetic.
It are my own animals. From the 12 animals 3 have it. It does not look like something from a mutation. It seems more likely that something goes wrong with the development of the toes. It happened with the middle two toes of the forelimbs.

@Red Eft14, from where do you got your information?

Anyone any other idea what to do or where it comes from?
Old 14th June 2011   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: tmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and informationtmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and informationtmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and informationtmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and information

Can you take pictures? I've never seen or heard of this before.
tmarmoratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarmoratus View Post
Can you take pictures? I've never seen or heard of this before.
I will try this evening, but they are so small
Old 14th June 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I´ve seen this once in an orientalis juvenile. At first i thought it was the usual case of two fingers sticking together when they are terrestrial, which is just that...two fingers temporarily sticking together because of surface tension or whatever, but this time they were indeed two fingers fussed together. The juvenile died (it was one of the brown spotted variants, which have never survived under my care :s) and i only noticed it shortly before that. I suspect it was probably a faulty regeneration of the toes which may have been lost when it was a larva. Perhaps that´s what´s going on with yours.
Please do take pictures if possible.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

These two pictures, these are the right foreleg of the animal. Clearly shows that the two middle fingers are one. I'm curious about your findings!!

It seems a coincidence, but I have a juvenile Triturus marmoratus with the same incident.
Attached Thumbnails
Toes grown together-p6154220-1024x768-.jpg   Toes grown together-p6154216-1024x768-.jpg