The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Using Co2 to grow plants

This is a discussion on Using Co2 to grow plants within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Im wondering if having co2 pump into a tank with newts or other amphibians is harmful? I grow alot of ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: asglrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using Co2 to grow plants

Im wondering if having co2 pump into a tank with newts or other amphibians is harmful? I grow alot of my tanks with co2 for fish. I did have 1 newt in a tank where I was running co2 but removed him after 3 days. I was using it as a isolation tank. Couldnt find anything around about this, it really makes plants grow well and very lush.
asglrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kribby has given consistently excellent advice and informationKribby has given consistently excellent advice and informationKribby has given consistently excellent advice and informationKribby has given consistently excellent advice and informationKribby has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Using Co2 to grow plants

I can think of two things you would want to concider with running CO2 in an amphibian setup.

1. Available oxygen. This is a concideration with fish as well, but something to concider is the increased body mass of the amphibian. I would be concerned about the animal getting enough air if it is fully aquatic. So check on the species. Usually amphibians like a high O2 content in the water.

2. pH. The pH in a planted tank is typically low. I know some amphibians don't like overly low pH.

Otherwise, I don't see how it would be an issue.