The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Newts and shrimp together?

This is a discussion on Newts and shrimp together? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have two fire bellied newts in a 10 gallon tank (mostly water) with a snail i feed them blood ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: giabayb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newts and shrimp together?

I have two fire bellied newts in a 10 gallon tank (mostly water) with a snail i feed them blood worms and they eat fine etc etc. I was curious if i can get a shrimp to clean up the tank better then the snail? and if so what type of shrimp that wont later become a meal?
thank you!
giabayb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: axolotlfreak56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newts and shrimp together?

I'm sure anything is fine so long it doesn't fit in your newt's mouth.
axolotlfreak56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I keep crystal red shrimp in several of my newt tanks. They are not a long-lived as the newts, but they do fine. They are too fast for any of my newts to catch it seems.

As an aside, I would warn against relying on snails or shrimp too much for clean-up. For best aquarium health, uneaten food should be removed by the human.
Old 1st February 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: wargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and information

I've kept my FBN with ghost shrimp for the past 2 years with no problems. As well as cleaning the tank, the shrimps seem to breed roughly at the same time as the newts so it gives the baby newts a free feed.

Dave
wargar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire bellied newt, shrimp