The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?

This is a discussion on What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So people say its a mud puppy. some people say axolot. plz help. also, what kind of habitat and food ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ktbug5283 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?

So people say its a mud puppy. some people say axolot. plz help. also, what kind of habitat and food do they strive in? i found them in a little pond next to my house in washington so i have doubts about them being a axolot because they come from mexico. is a filter ok for them? they are about 1 1/2 in. long. oh yeah... they are only 2-3 months old so they are not fully grown yet so i was wondering if you can even tell what they are this early... If you cant c from the pics they have 6 external gills, long tail, 4 legs. if you cant tell what kind they are from the pics i can send you guys more. if you cant tell what kind they are and if they will be on land could you just tell me a basic habit and diet pls. Thank you sooooo much!!! sooner answer that better because i need to get start with buy thing and food for the habitat.
Attached Thumbnails
What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?-dscf0468.jpg   What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?-dscf0464.jpg   What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?-dscf0470.jpg  

ktbug5283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?

I'm not sure what they are either but definitely not axolotl. Probably some kind of ambystoma. I would feed them cut up worms at this point in a jar on its side, cut them small enough for them to eat (mince them). If they don't eat those, try for some blackworms. Then I'd just sit back and wait to see what they morph into!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AngieD has given good advice and informationAngieD has given good advice and information
Default Re: What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?

If they don't respond to non-moving food, maybe try some live daphnia

LinkBack