The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Salamander Temporary Home

This is a discussion on Tiger Salamander Temporary Home within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; As I had posted yesterday, I recently took in a young Tiger Salamander from a friend who was unable to ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axyl97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger Salamander Temporary Home

As I had posted yesterday, I recently took in a young Tiger Salamander from a friend who was unable to care for him anymore. I am COMPLETELY new to owning any type of amphibious pet. After making sure he was, in fact, a Tiger Salamander I was advised to remove him from his aquarium and put him in a proper tank with substrate. I will be getting a larger tank in the near future but for now he's in a tank with the same width and length of a 10 gallon (it's length is about 3/4 of that of a ten gallon). Is this an okay size? I also added some "Tropical Soil" made from coconut fibers as directed by many Tiger Salamander websites. I put him in his new home with a shallow bowl of water to submerge himself in and watched for a couple minutes to ensure his new home would work for him. I noticed his skin started drying (the coconut fiber is moist) and he immediately dove back into the water. What can I do to help him adjust to his substrate? By the way, this is just a temporary setup until I can get him a proper hide, water bowl, and a larger tank.

I apologize for the second picture, I realize it probably isn't too helpful. I'm just extremely worried that I'm going to mess up and hurt him.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiger Salamander Temporary Home-photo-1.jpg   Tiger Salamander Temporary Home-photo-2.jpg   Tiger Salamander Temporary Home-photo-3.jpg  

axyl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Salamander Temporary Home

Here's an article that should get you started!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enclosure, salamander, tiger

LinkBack