The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I have a question concerning housing my fire salamander. Which over salamander could live or even breed with him?

This is a discussion on I have a question concerning housing my fire salamander. Which over salamander could live or even breed with him? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have a fire salamander which is currently doing fine, but I would like to get another pet to live ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ArchieFmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Post I have a question concerning housing my fire salamander. Which over salamander could live or even breed with him?

I have a fire salamander which is currently doing fine, but I would like to get another pet to live with him (maybe a marbled salamander). Any suggestion ?

ArchieFmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: I have a question concerning housing my fire salamander. Which over salamander could live or even breed with him?

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend you do a search on "species mixing" or some variant of that. It's generally not a good idea to mix species like that, and you can learn all about why by searching around.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aplestris has started on the right path
Default Re: I have a question concerning housing my fire salamander. Which over salamander could live or even breed with him?

Hi
Unlike fish (well actually maybe like some) and as otterwoman said, amphibians can't really be kept in a communal tank or tank with other species, even if they originate from the same places. This is because most have toxins and some may be aggressive towards each other.
If you want another salamander, another fire salamander would be best.

Aplestris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013   #4 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieFmac View Post
I have a fire salamander which is currently doing fine, but I would like to get another pet to live with him (maybe a marbled salamander). Any suggestion ?
Mixing species is a dangerous practice: Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack