The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding T. Dobrogicus

This is a discussion on Breeding T. Dobrogicus within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have some t. dobrogicus and am interested in breeding them. I've read that getting them to hibernate is the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Joop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Breeding T. Dobrogicus

I have some t. dobrogicus and am interested in breeding them. I've read that getting them to hibernate is the most natural (thus healthy) way to get them in breeding mode. However some forums speak of 'spontaneous breeding' in captivity. I would have some trouble with cooling the tank, as it is very large and consists of a land and water part. Would it be wise to leave the temperature as it is and just change the lighting period (making it shorter to match outside)? Or is getting them to hibernate a must?

Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Breeding T. Dobrogicus

I'd say getting them under 10ºC for at least a month or two is pretty much a must. Sure, they might breed without that cooling period, but it's not likely, and the results will definitely not be the same, the males will barely develop their crests and the females are likely to lay significantly fewer eggs.
A long cooling period, along with a good diet, is the surest way to ensure breeding and particularly to ensure A LOT of breeding.
If you can't cool the entire tank by moving it somewhere else, you could put the newts in a box full of moss and into the fridge. That works aswell.

By the way, you should reconsider the way your tank is set-up, a terrestrial area is typically a waste of space for this species, a piece of cork bark should be more than sufficient.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Allright ill get onto that! Thanks a lot!

Old 5th November 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have a smaller terrarium which i could put them in, and i could get that terrarium some place cooler, should i give them lots of land with a water bowl or just put them in water, cool that and let them bury in the substrate?

Tags
breeding, captivity, dobrogicus, triturus

LinkBack