The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Can my Axolotl eat worms from the fishing store?

This is a discussion on Can my Axolotl eat worms from the fishing store? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello My axolotl loves worms but it is hard go out in my yard and find worms everyday. I was ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: will21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my Axolotl eat worms from the fishing store?

Hello
My axolotl loves worms but it is hard go out in my yard and find worms everyday. I was wondering if I could just buy worms from the bait shop? I am not sure if those worm have bad chemicals on them like the crickets often do at bait and tackle shops?
Thanks

will21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: crickit785 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can my Axolotl eat worms from the fishing store?

I use red wigglers from walmart. I have what I call my "worm factory" that I use to breed them. I went to walmart yesterday to get a few more worms to add and they were out, so I'm glad I have them breeding:-) what I do is take one of those big, flat (maybe 5inches deep) rubbermaid tubs. I shread up strips of newspaper and add that and a equal amount of top soil, that i get from my local hardware store (ace) to the bottom of the tub. Then I fill the tup the rest of the way with top soil and add the worms. Every now and then I throw in some old lettuce or whatever else compostable I have in my fridge, to feed the worms. The newspaper acts as a breeding zone for the worms to lay eggs and hide. In a few months you should notice little baby worms. Everynow and then I add in another tub of worms just to make sure I keep my population up since I feed my worms to a number of animals. I hope this helps! Sorry if any of this was confusing.

crickit785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: will21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok great thank you
I will try it out that's is such a good idea thank you

will21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Those of us that use nightcrawlers as food, that's pretty much where we get them - bait stores, bait sections of sports stores.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, axolotl feeding, food, safe?, worms

LinkBack