The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cloudy tank water?

This is a discussion on Cloudy tank water? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have two juvi Axolotls in a 20 gallon long tank that eat like pigs and seem perfectly healthy. The ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By qannp
  • 1 Post By michael

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: gracieprice23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cloudy tank water?

I have two juvi Axolotls in a 20 gallon long tank that eat like pigs and seem perfectly healthy. The tank has been up and running with perfect water test levels since 3 weeks before I got the juvis and 2 1/2 months or so after I'd got them. That being said the tank has been running almost three months now but it seems to get increasingly cloudy. I do almost 50% water changes every Friday but it seems to bring no difference in the water's cloudyness. Is there a reason the water is so cloudy? There also seems to be a good bit of slime clinging to the tank walls and hides. I'm new to axies so I'm not sure of the best method to use to keep clear water! Anyone have any ideas?

gracieprice23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: birdsong has started on the right path
Default Re: Cloudy tank water?

It's typically caused by bacterial blooms caused by over feeding (so I've read) I have used API accuclear with great success but I'm sure some people will advise against it . The cause of cloudiness is bacteria not dirtiness typically . As long as your parameters are ok then I would just live with it . It shouldn't harm your axoltls . Also a SMALL amount of aquarium salt COULD help but I would be very careful adding salts if your not experienced. This is just my experience and you should probably wait for a second opinion before doing anything drastic

birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: qannp has started on the right path

Please do not add salt unless you want to cure fungus under controlled conditions.

Once I cycled a tank for my catfish. After two weeks the water smelled like wet clothes and got cloudy, too. It turned out the sand contained organic matters, I didn't wash it thoroughly enough.
Since there were no animals in the tank at this point, it wasn't a big deal. I just had to do a few water changes and the cycling took more time.

What is in your tank? Are there decoration items, plants, sand…? What's the temperature, what are the water parameters? What and how much are you feeding? The more information, the better.

Try to do more water changes, about 20% to 30% every three or four days. I'm afraid your tank isn't cycled yet - don't underestimate how leftover food and the poop of two juvis can mess up the water.

qannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: laine is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the same issues. Have you got an air stone in the tank?
My tank cleared within days of putting one in after weeks of regular water changes did not seem to be having much effect.

laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

back off a little on feeding. See if you can boost the biological component of your filter or upgrade. Accuclear is a crutch. Minerals are good for axolotls. I add 1 tablespoon of marine salt per 10 gallons to all of my axolotl tanks. The salt probably will do little to clear up the cloudiness but is good for the animals.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, advice wanted, anyone available?, cloudy tank, cloudy water, help and advice needed, help or ideas, new axolotl owner, slimy

LinkBack