The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Filter canister: media

This is a discussion on Filter canister: media within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi! So I've had a canister filter for a little while and have avoided using it, unsure of what the ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elicea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filter canister: media

Hi! So I've had a canister filter for a little while and have avoided using it, unsure of what the best options were for media. I've spent a lot of time looking for things that are effective and not too big of a hit to my wallet. Here is what I have come to after my long search:

Mechanical filtration- poly fil, 100% polyester and NOT flame retardant.
Biological filtration- broken up clay pots. The orange-ish ones, unpainted.
Chemical filtration- activated carbon stuff. I have found a lot of information saying I do need it and I don't need it.... Not totally sure which is the right answer but just in case, I purchased "Marineland Diamond Blend- Ammonia Neutralizing Carbon".

In total, this cost me $21.50, only spending $6.50 of that on the items I selected for mechanical and biological.

Super great price for me! But.... Did I do it right? Anyone have any thoughts on what I have selected for my three stage canister filter, for my Axie tank?

elicea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, biological, canister, chemical, filter, mechanical

LinkBack