The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl's back legs are floating, along with him!

This is a discussion on Axolotl's back legs are floating, along with him! within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi! So I woke up this morning to find Kimchi floating at the top of his tank with his back ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auntiejude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolotl's back legs are floating, along with him!

Hi! So I woke up this morning to find Kimchi floating at the top of his tank with his back legs at his sides. He was completely still. I opened up the tank's lid, which would usually get him to look up, but again, nothing. This really scared me since he's just a baby and I thought he was dead! So I took his turkey baster and swished the water in front of him around, which caused him to freak out and dash to the bottom of the tank. He settled down at the bottom of his tank sitting inside his feeding dish, and his legs are still at his sides. There's a bit of poop coming out of him, but I'm not sure what to do. I think he may be constipated... I recently got him these new brine shrimp pellets which may have caused this. I'm also feeding frozen bloodworms. What can I do to stop this weird floating?
Attached Thumbnails
Axolotl's back legs are floating, along with him!-img_0810.jpg  

Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl's back legs are floating, along with him!

He was asleep and floating - and you woke him up with a start! Floating is not weird if he can get to the bottom when he wants. Young axies like to explore, he was probably just investigating depth and exercising his lungs a bit.

(In other words, you're being a paranoid new axie keeper - suggest you chill a bit and realise that axies do odd stuff because they can)

Tags
axolotl, back legs, back legs floating, constipation, floating, health

LinkBack