The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Axy Owner

This is a discussion on New Axy Owner within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello everyone. So I ave my first Axy--a 3-4inch juvenile. I just started feeding him blood worms (thawed from frozen ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Severance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Axy Owner

Hello everyone. So I ave my first Axy--a 3-4inch juvenile. I just started feeding him blood worms (thawed from frozen packets). Unfortunately no matter how much a try to guide him to his food bowl, he doesn't seem to want to find it.

I don't want to leave the food in the tank too long so it won't foul the water. Anyone have any tips to help him find his new home's food bowl?

Thanks!

Also, he seems a bit too small at the moment to run my filter? I use a Tetra Whisper small cartridge one. Will he be okay if I run it? I have the water filled up to just below the spout to reduce water flow.

Last edited by Severance; 17th December 2015 at 23:14. Reason: Another question.
Severance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: New Axy Owner

At that size you can probably start feeding earthworms as these are a far more nutritious option than bloodworm. If the earthworms are too big you can cut them to smaller sizes. I find it easiest to hand feed earthworms but to get them to a bowl for feeding I have guided them with a bit of food or wiggle a finger to entice them to follow.

In regards to your filter, are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? It is very important to understand this process and how it affects aquatic life and how to establish the cycle safely. Below is a link on cycling

Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

Your filter should be OK to have running. Make sure you have a liquid test kit (test strips are notorious for giving inaccurate results) for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH as well as a thermometer for temperature. You will need to monitor the parameters closely and perform frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at safe levels whilst your tank establishes the cycle (below 0.25ppm).

Tags
axolotl, bloodworms, feeding, food advice, question

LinkBack