The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Just looking for help

This is a discussion on Just looking for help within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello all, I'd like to hear any advice you have about having happy and healthy axies I'd love to see ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Skudo09
  • 2 Post By Kilolotlkeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: JadeAnnette is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Just looking for help

Hello all, I'd like to hear any advice you have about having happy and healthy axies
I'd love to see photos of your axolotls and tanks, hear about what they like in their tank and stuff ☺️ My axies are only young, about 4 1/2 to 5 inches (I don't have a ruler) but I want to make them happy as possible

JadeAnnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Just looking for help

Water quality is very important for preventing illnesses and protecting the health of axolotls. So reading up and understanding the nitrogen cycle, how to establish the cycle and maintain it is vital. Testing parameters often and regularly as well.

Diet is also important to ensure they receive nutritionally complete food and maintain a healthy weight. I prefer earthworms as a staple diet. They are cheap, easy to feed and very nutritious.

I would also suggest reading through threads throughout this forum as it will give you a wealth of information.
Attached Thumbnails
Just looking for help-image.jpg  

Old 11th March 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kilolotlkeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow skudo your axolotl is beautiful!!! Here are mine Click the image to open in full size. Buddha now, one year old in four days!!! Click the image to open in full size. Sampson now about two and a half months old 🤗
Click the image to open in full size. Buddha a year ago when I was but an inexperienced keeper 😱❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilolotlkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thanks Killian :). You have some good looking axolotls yourself :)

Old 13th March 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Hi

I have had 3 youngsters since January. They are approximately the same size, probably a little smaller, than yours. They are in a 200 litre tank.
I have also very recently acquired 3 older axis, approximately 10 inches. These are in a 125 litre tank which I had cycled for some new fish, but got distracted by the axolotls. I'll be getting another 200 litre tank and when it has cycled the older axis will be transferred.
They all eat a combination or earthworms, prawns and pellets. I use a syphon to clear up any remaining food or poop daily, to help with the water quality, and water changes happen weekly.

Skudo and Killian, your axis are lovely.
Attached Thumbnails
Just looking for help-2016-02-29-21.14.32.jpg   Just looking for help-2016-03-04-07.21.25.jpg   Just looking for help-2016-02-29-08.27.48.jpg   Just looking for help-2016-03-09-20.40.50.jpg   Just looking for help-2016-03-02-07.33.45.jpg  

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, axolotl advice, filter axolotl tank water, filters /water, hides, nitrate, nitrite, plants

LinkBack