The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Egg yolk emergency Axolotl baby food???!

This is a discussion on Egg yolk emergency Axolotl baby food???! within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi guys, I remember seeing a post once about using egg yolk as emergency baby axolotl food and I can't ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CheyenneAutumn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 7
Rep: AmberLouiseT has started on the right path
Default Egg yolk emergency Axolotl baby food???!

Hi guys, I remember seeing a post once about using egg yolk as emergency baby axolotl food and I can't find the post ANYWHERE. I can't remember how this method works, or how the yolk is prepared/what to do.
I was wondering if anyone on here knows this method and is willing to explain it to me.
I really hope someone can help me x

AmberLouiseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: CheyenneAutumn has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

I recall reading that, too. That individual boiled the egg and fed the yolk to them in small pieces.
I tried it myself and the babies showed no interest. They are stimulated by movement first; when they're a bit older they're stimulated by scent. If they're at that stage they may go for the yolk; if they aren't they probably won't touch it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CheyenneAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: AmberLouiseT has started on the right path
Default Re: Egg yolk emergency Axolotl baby food???!

Thank you, I think movement could be simulated by lightly moving the water but of course this could be detrimental to the larvae. It's a lose/lose situation, unfortunately!

AmberLouiseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Egg yolk emergency Axolotl baby food???!

Moving the water slightly wouldn't be detrimental. But you would need to perform 100% water changes after every feed. As a last resort it might work for some

Tags
axie babies, axolotl advice, axolotl eggs, axolotl feeding, help and advice needed, please help

LinkBack