The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help! There are worms in my tank! Hundreds of them!

This is a discussion on Help! There are worms in my tank! Hundreds of them! within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; A few minutes ago I was feeding my two juvinile axies when I noticed a super small worm wriggling its ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Soapamine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! There are worms in my tank! Hundreds of them!

A few minutes ago I was feeding my two juvinile axies when I noticed a super small worm wriggling its way thtough the water. I sucked it up really quickly with an eye dropper and put it in a bowl to look at. It looks like a pin worm, but it's only about half a centimeter long and light brown.
After doing a quick search and seeing other people mention worms in the sand I looked closer in my tank and there are hundreds of these things popping out of the sand! They're literally everywhere, and the same color as the sand so I have no idea how long they've been there.

I took a video, which I will try to attach or link in some way.
It also might be worth noting that one of my axies has been refusing food for a couple of days now, I thought he just didnt like they new brand of blood worms (I'll be seitching back to the old brand soon).

Are they parasites??? I'm so worried right now they've invaded the whole tank!

Here is the link to the video
https://youtu.be/yWqY3dE_FBA

Soapamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Help! There are worms in my tank! Hundreds of them!

Looks like detritus worms - they feed on poop and uneaten food. They are completely harmless, and you'll probably find them in most axie tanks in small numbers.

But in large number it could mean that you need to clean more thoroughly or more frequently - essentially starve them out.

Old 11th May 2016   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

It looks like a little black worm or something. It looks like something a salamander could eat.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Soapamine is an unknown quantity at this point

Auntiejude, I looked those up and I think you are very right. I've been leaving worms out in hopes of encouraging my stuborn baby to eat a bit more. Wob't be doing that any more because these things give me the creeps, I also did a nice thorough cleaning yesterday and there are much fewer left now.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I was totally worried they would latch on to my babies

Soapamine is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack