The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fungus Axolotl questions

This is a discussion on Fungus Axolotl questions within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I noticed that my adult male Axolotl has the fluffy white fungus and I just want to make sure that ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ChristinaHerne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fungus Axolotl questions

I noticed that my adult male Axolotl has the fluffy white fungus and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can to help him.

I've started salt baths yesterday (as of now I've only given him two) and they've been about 1.5 tablespoon of salt in a liter of water for 10-15 minutes. After he gets one the fungus starts to fall off is that a good sign?

I also gave him a very large water change yesterday, and I believe I read somewhere that you're supposed to do water changes everyday when they have fungus. Is it a normal water change or should I continue with the larger ones?

His temperature in his tank has been around 68 but I'm purchasing tank fans to try and help cool it down more (its a 20g tank so if you have tips or know brands of fans that are good quality, the last one I got stopped working in a few weeks) Sometimes the tank will reach 70 but with a few ice bottles I tend to lower it faster.

As I said the fungus seems to be falling off after each bath and he seems to be acting relatively normal, pooping and eating and such. I just want to make sure that there isn't something I could be doing more/ making sure I'm doing everything right. I've also read that I should continue salt baths even after the fungus seems to be gone for a few days? Is that true?

http://oi66.tinypic.com/1zque7m.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/inzeah.jpg

ChristinaHerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Fungus Axolotl questions

If it is minor fungus then salt baths are not needed. The fungus should fall off on its own a slong as the water conditions are correct. Salt baths are highly irritating to the skin and only recommended in serious situations.

The fungus falling off is a good sign.

Don't continue the salt baths, just make sure your tank is cycled and healthy.

Tags
axolotl, fungus, sick

LinkBack