The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tank sizes and companion (for older axolotl)

This is a discussion on Tank sizes and companion (for older axolotl) within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So my axolotl, Steve, is around 5 or 6 years old now. He's far outgrown his thank (roughly 24x12) and ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KOsika is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tank sizes and companion (for older axolotl)

So my axolotl, Steve, is around 5 or 6 years old now. He's far outgrown his thank (roughly 24x12) and I'm looking at getting a new tank for him asap. But while I'm at it, I'm tossing around the idea of maybe getting a second axolotl. Purely a hypothetical idea, mind you, as I am in NO position (financially and space-wise) to be getting a second axolotl. It's just that if I'm going to be spending all this money on a bigger tank for one axolotl, why not pay a bit more for an even bigger setup that would have room for a possible second?

The thing I'm not sure about is how they'd even get along if (hypothetically) I got a second axolotl. Would my older axolotl be aggressive towards a newcomer, even if they were similar in size? Would the sex of the second axolotl matter? I don't know that I'd want a female, as I wouldn't want them breeding, but I don't know if there's aggression between male axolotls.

I won't get another axolotl until I know what might happen between them, and until I've moved out of my parent's house, but I like to plan in advance, just in case it's still something I want to do a few months from now.

What would a good tank size for Steve be now that he's older? I was thinking something around 30 gallons but I'm really not sure, as they come in so many long/tall/ect sizes. What if I were to have two? I assume I'd need something even bigger for two adult axolotls.

Any tips would be appreciated!

KOsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Tank sizes and companion (for older axolotl)

I have attached some links which may help with tank size.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity
Silly Axolotls
I have 3 mature males in a 100cm/200L tank, and 3 juveniles in another tank the same size. The males have grown up together and there has rarely been a problem, apart from a tussle over a prawn a few moths ago. Occasionally they are all frisky at the same time, which can be a little disturbing, but there doesn't seem to be any aggression.
If introducing a new axolotl it must be of around the same size. I would suggest a male, unless you are prepared to deal with lots of eggs, and consider using a tank divider to keep them apart while they are getting used to each other.
I hope that this helps.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

Male absolutely , and I never seen axolotl in the fight unless they are still in the caniblistic stage .. Any axolotl that's longer than 5 inches are cool ... Chill and the only time they get crazy together is when they get ... Well you know the mating ritual ... They just dance around ... They are lover not a fighter
And yes I also have 30gl tank that is more than perfect for 2 or more.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: KOsika is an unknown quantity at this point

Hm, I must've disable email notifications on here because I had no idea you both posted! Thanks so much for the links and the personal experiences! I knew they could be aggressive at a stage, but it sounds like they grow out of it.

I was gifted a nice 20 gallon long aquarium that we've fitted with slate floor tiles from Home Depot. Currently soaking the stone to make sure anything it leaches out whatever it wants to before I put Steve in it. I think he'll appreciate the additional few inches of space, at least until I can move out and start the hunt for even more room. Only the best for my little monster :)

KOsika is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack