The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aquaponic in axolotl tank

This is a discussion on Aquaponic in axolotl tank within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Have anyone ever tried it? Last 2 years ago I grew some aquaponic herbs farm on top of my axolotl ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Aquaponic in axolotl tank

Have anyone ever tried it? Last 2 years ago I grew some aquaponic herbs farm on top of my axolotl tank .. It was flourishing... Too well actually cause I grew too fast I had to chopped them down cause I no longer can support the weight

Tomatoes was 4 feet tall ...not much of fruits , not recommended.
Sweet basil 4 feet long. .. Best plant to use but easily over grow
Affrican basil 3 feet tall bushes.... 2 feet wide it was massive. Also good but easily overgrown
Chive unsuccessful
Oregano 2 feet hanging outside .. Was dead inside later on not recommended
Sage unsuccessful
Taragon a foot tall. Good plants but easily drawn in the spider mites.

In the end the experiment fail to maintain ... But I did have the year supplied of mostly basil and the rest I use for cooking. I didnt get any picture cause it was hard to take one but I grew them using growing light bought from hydroponic store. And the basket that house the plant roots I use baby product bath tub caddy. The rest are just the filter sponge block and plant seeds.

During the process the axolotl look quite happy and enjoy napping and hiding around the soft white hairy live roots and made a nest for them self.

Anybody ever tried? How was it?

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: CarnationCrab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aquaponic in axolotl tank

I have always wanted to try aquaponics! We have some at my uni, but I'm not really sure how to even set it up.

CarnationCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Aquaponic in axolotl tank

Actually it's much easier than I thought before. I even use emergency blanket as the reflective curtains to intensify the hydro lights , since axolotl tank have aquarium fan already blowing , enough oxygen bubbles + sponge filter for clear water ... I only kept my old uv filter there to get everything run smoothly. Seeds need to be planting on the clean wet block sponge elsewhere it grew more than 3-4 inches tall before put them in the tank.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack