The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Things you wish you knew when you started?

This is a discussion on Things you wish you knew when you started? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi everyone! I pick up my first Axolotl tomorrow, so I was wondering: What are the things you wish you ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Donna001
  • 1 Post By Donna001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CarnationCrab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things you wish you knew when you started?

Hi everyone!

I pick up my first Axolotl tomorrow, so I was wondering:

What are the things you wish you knew when you first started keeping Axolotls?

I've done lots of research, but I'm curious to hear from you guys!

Oh, and, wish me luck :) I'll post pics!

CarnationCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you wish you knew when you started?

I wish I was more familiar with tank cycling and upkeep. I've made good friends with the guys at the local aquarium shop, since they constantly see me with a new problem xD

I also wish I'd known before getting my lotl how'd darn attached I'd get to the little guy

Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

I wish I'd known how addictive they are.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I wish I'd known not to waste my money on river rocks. And I wish I'd known how much rubbish was about on the internet - misinformation, inaccurate or out of date info - and whose advice I could trust.

Old 26th July 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I totally understand the attachment thing! I have had her for one day and I'm already in love lol. She's a cutie but is a bit camera shy so once I get a good picture then I will show you. Of course, I'm calling her a she, but I actually have no idea what her gender is.

On another note, I'm having trouble keeping her tank temperature low. It's in the mid 70's right now and I don't know what to do! Any ideas?

Old 26th July 2016   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

I'm currently using a combination of a fan, mesh lid and frozen water bottles.
If you can move the tank to floor level, or if you have a basement, that will also help a little.
Keep the room as cool as possible, keep curtains closed, use a fan.
Without buying a chiller unit it is not easy to keep the tank cool during a heatwave, and don't forget that fluctuations in temperature can also stress your axolotl.

Old 26th July 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna001 View Post
I'm currently using a combination of a fan, mesh lid and frozen water bottles.
If you can move the tank to floor level, or if you have a basement, that will also help a little.
Keep the room as cool as possible, keep curtains closed, use a fan.
Without buying a chiller unit it is not easy to keep the tank cool during a heatwave, and don't forget that fluctuations in temperature can also stress your axolotl.
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, so I don't really have a lot of wiggle room as far as relocating the tank goes. I am keeping the room as cold as I can, and I have the fan, mesh lid, and frozen water bottles trend going! Axie seems to be doing alright, moving around and eating, thus far, so I'm hoping for the best until the heatwave ends. :)

Old 27th July 2016   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

It was similar here last week when we had a mini heat wave. I also found that doing water changes with water from the cold tap (dechlorinated), rather than leaving it equilibrate to room temperature. Depending on how large your tank is this will also help, but if you have a large tank be prepared for large water changes.

Tags
advice needed, axolotl, newbie

LinkBack