The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bloodworms exiting axolotl gills?

This is a discussion on Bloodworms exiting axolotl gills? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi, I'm new to axolotls. I've got a young axolotl who is eating bloodworms right now and he took a ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mortytheaxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bloodworms exiting axolotl gills?

Hi, I'm new to axolotls. I've got a young axolotl who is eating bloodworms right now and he took a very large bite, much more then he could swallow. Half of it got thrown around while he tried to swallow, and a few worms pushed their way out of his gills somehow?? I watched a few push out on both sides and one worm stayed stuck but has shaken free now. Is this even possible, and should I be concerned? He seems very active and happy despite having worms exiting his gills, and is continuing to eat. Any thoughts?

mortytheaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloodworms exiting axolotl gills?

They have a gill slit behind their external gills. Water (and worms) can easily get pushed out the slit. My axolotl has shot worms out his gill slits many times. Nothing to worry about.

Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mortytheaxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloodworms exiting axolotl gills?

Thanks so much :) I've only had him for a week so I had no idea!

mortytheaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, eating problem, gill, gill issues

LinkBack