The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl is refusing food.

This is a discussion on Axolotl is refusing food. within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi guys, I've sorted out my temperature problem, I have the tank stable at 19 degrees Celsius, that's as good ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: emdalliance is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Axolotl is refusing food.

Hi guys, I've sorted out my temperature problem, I have the tank stable at 19 degrees Celsius, that's as good as it's gonna get, I can get it down to 18 twice a day with ice bottles.

Anyway, my two Axies are eating fine (my original lucy and my new (got him/her two days ago) copper)). However my wildtype still won't eat, I'm on week 3 now and she's still turning food away. Obviously it was the temperature that has put her off her food, she's also developed a thickened slime coat - which I have had a second opinion on and we agreed it's a thick slime coat and not fungus or anything. But I hate thinking it's been three weeks and she's not eaten! Been offering blood worms, earthworms and pellets and nothing will make her budge. She just turns away all annoyed.

Any tips? Do you think fridging would be worth it or not? I'm a little put off the idea after having an axie die in the fridge. Does anyone have any food suggestions they think will help her to eat? Also how long should she go without food before I get concerned?

emdalliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl is refusing food.

I keep a bag of frozen prawn for treats for my gang. They can be a bit salty so soak them in water for at least half an hour, then cut them in to slices to be offered to your axolotl.
I have also tried mussels, and although they were also appreciated I found it easier to feed prawns.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl is refusing food

Let's try different approach .. Maybe give her separate small tank. Add little aquarium salt and fresh cold water . Maybe some blockage in stomach or indigestion. Very small live aquatic worms such as black worms might be easier to digest. Alone in her own tank you can keep eyes on her process much easier. Keep cold .

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axololt too hot, axolotl female advice, axolotl food, axolotl not eating, poorly axolotl

LinkBack