The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding jars question

This is a discussion on Feeding jars question within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi everyone, I've got my two this week and are feeding fine , but I have seen lots of pics ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: Tikijoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding jars question

Hi everyone,

I've got my two this week and are feeding fine , but I have seen lots of pics and mentions on here of folks using a glass feeding jar - is this simply a jar you place the food into, rather than on the tank floor? I was thinking it might make clearing up after them easier!

Thanks!

Tikijoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Feeding jars question

I think a regular glass jar is hardly a match for axolotl . It will spill out in no time cause axolotl is a messy eater with terrible eye sight. Unless you've a large round glass fish bowl. The curve of the bowl will keep the food fallen back in no matter how axolotl jump , dance, shaking their heads, stcratching, or kicking around their food . I 've watch my axolotl digging through sand like a bloodhound dog looking for worms or just to sitting in it . I thinks that tells us a lot of how they normally prefer their feeding ground to looks like.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Feeding jars question

I agree, axolotls are messy eaters.
When mine were younger and still eating bloodworms I had a piece of slate in the tank, then I used an upturned jar lid as a bowl for the bloodworms. Between the lid and the slate it avoided them from ingesting too much sand and kept the mess to a minimum. I've also seen people press a small side plate into the sand and use that as a feeding area.
Now that my fellas are bigger they are mainly hand fed worms, but still have a small, shallow dish for pellets.
See what works for you and your axolotls.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack