The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding axolotl tadpoles can trigger metamorphosis?

This is a discussion on Feeding axolotl tadpoles can trigger metamorphosis? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I found an odd comment on Pinterest Catherine Caraca King Henry VIII School, Abergavenny "If you feed them tadpoles it ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Feeding axolotl tadpoles can trigger metamorphosis?

I found an odd comment on Pinterest

Catherine Caraca King Henry VIII School, Abergavenny
"If you feed them tadpoles it can trigger their transformation into a salamander, which is painful and life shortening, growing eyelids hurts. So avoid tadpoles."

Really? Like How?

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Feeding axolotl tadpoles can trigger metamorphosis?

I've never heard this.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Last year I fed my axolotl some tadpole cause I got a whole lots of them cheap. My axie couldn't get enough of them. I thought about getting some more this year but then I saw this. Though I doubt that is true ... It kinda stop me from buying

Old 3rd August 2016   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Feeding tadpoles to axolotls will not cause metamorphosis. It may however cause developmental abnormalities such as an extremely large head/jaw
Morphological changes of jaw and tooth structure in canibalistic larvaee.html

Old 4th August 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

So that's why my axolotl had such a big huge head . I posted about it a few days ago. They actually stop standing on their head sleeping cause they body starting to grow heavy enough to weight down . But why? What in tad pole that cause the axolotl to grew a large skull ?

Old 4th August 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

They said " you are what you eat" is more true than most science fiction.

This year comparison

First the leucistic I bought from seller (4")that feed the only pellets , their heads and body so much more slimmer their skin smoother than the axolotl I raise . Looks almost like entire different species. Kinda delicate looking more angelic looks to it.
With the one I raised this year I feed them from birth live food only never once frozen nor pellet ever since after they hatched with live new hatched brine shrimp, after that I raised them with live California black worms. Now they are over 5-6 inches and feeding on young live European night crawler . I noticed that their heads are huge their skin stop looking so smooth and more stubbles since they were just 3 inches their gills are big and bushy and body thick and stocky kinda look like a troll .. A Beautiful troll I mean lol And that's not even compared to the last year batch which long sold out last year, those looks very much like bobbing head dolls and those were the one that I fed the tadpoles. I don't have picture any more cause it was in my old netbook that was in an accident and I lost all files on it. But I'm telling you, it's freaky how food can change so much appearance in axolotl I wonder are there any experiment on that ? I like to know how far it can goes.

LinkBack