The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl seems lethargic after water change?

This is a discussion on Axolotl seems lethargic after water change? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I'm assuming since its winter, warmer temps aren't an issue anymore. However for next time the weather gets warm some ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2016   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AmandaB is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming since its winter, warmer temps aren't an issue anymore. However for next time the weather gets warm some I have done that works every time:
Get a heat shield for your car windshield (the reflected kind) and cut it to fit your tank. You may need a few pieces and duct tape (I'm from Canada obviously) them together. This will keep the sunlight out and keep the frozen water bottles cooler longer. Also if you have any fan you can direct at the top of the water, that'll help too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmandaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MamaPluto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl seems lethargic after water change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie1115 View Post
Hey there, thanks for asking! They seem to be doing great! I changed their water 20% a few days ago because their tanks seemed to develop a smell.. maybe I am over feeding them because it seemed like once I got the excess worms out and put in fresh water that the smell went away. It is kind of hard to clean the sand, so that is the only problem I am having currently. I ended up taking some out and just replacing it.
You definitely need to be removing any food they don't eat. That can really mess with your levels. If you need to, some people like to use a turkey baster to spot clean the sand.

MamaPluto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, floating, lethargic, sinking, tank

LinkBack