The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Very, very dirty lucies?

This is a discussion on Very, very dirty lucies? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hey, everyone! I've recently come across some young lucies that seem to be more spotted than normal. Most "very dirty ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nessie7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nessie7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very, very dirty lucies?

Hey, everyone! I've recently come across some young lucies that seem to be more spotted than normal. Most "very dirty lucies" only have small, light freckles but these babies are heavily spotted. Any idea why? Is it unusual at all?

Click the image to open in full size.

And, lastly:
Lucy or wild? I really can't tell for sure. Looks wild but it also has a lucy look with a lot of dark coloration

Nessie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MarieKarma1311 has shown reliable knowledgeMarieKarma1311 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Very, very dirty lucies?

Those are beautiful babies, I am so intrigued by them! I don't know much about axolotl colors or genetics unfortunately, but I would just love to see updated pictures of these little guys as they get bigger.

MarieKarma1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: GeorgeAquatics has shown reliable knowledgeGeorgeAquatics has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Very, very dirty lucies?

If you compare the reflective circles in the eyes, you should notice that wild type eyes have a slightly golden reflective circle, whereas the leucistics have a silver circle, inside of the eye.

If it's not a wild type, then technically, I think this would be considered a "piebald", a "harlequin" or "enigma" trait leucistic, since a dirty leucistic wouldn't have any pigment below the lateral line (horizontal line running midway down the length of the body).

Silly Axolotls - Colour Variants Post - Colour Variants Post

The exact cause seems to be debatable, but it may be the result of a mutated leucistic gene and could possibly be related to mosaicism.

GeorgeAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack