The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Blue LED (blacklight) in axie tank?

This is a discussion on Blue LED (blacklight) in axie tank? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the use of blacklight or blue LED lighting (I ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: debadog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blue LED (blacklight) in axie tank?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the use of blacklight or blue LED lighting (I think they are different even though they look the same) in an axolotl tank. I know their eyes are sensitive to light but I was wondering if it would be okay to leave a blue LED on for longer than my normal LEDS as its definitely not as bright?

Thanks!

debadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MamaPluto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blue LED (blacklight) in axie tank?

Continuous blacklight use tends to be stressful for axolotl. Not sure on the LEDs off the top of my head, though.

MamaPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JLowe92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't have continuous light

JLowe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: HecticDucky is an unknown quantity at this point

i would believe that any dimmer light would be better than bright light Led's are brighter but it all depends on the lumens that light puts out i would assume that you would be fine if it bugged them they would hide from it. i switch my setup light to interchangeable leds and over my typical light they probably hid most of the time when the light was on and seem to not care with my led as of yet

HecticDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

I use my LED tank lights on the dimmest setting, and my gang don't seem to be bothered even with the white lights on for up to 6 hours in the evening. They certainly don't like the white lights on the higher settings, but are ok with the blue lights on.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: debadog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, he doesn't seem massively bothered by it (he never really hides unless he's stressed because I'm cleaning etc.) but I was wondering if there was some horrible effect of blue light that I didn't know about. Unfortunately I can't dim the lights as they're built in, but that's something I'll look into when I upgrade his tank.

Cheers!

debadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

As far as I'm aware there isn't a problem with blue light. White and blue lights are in the visual spectrum range, and black lights (UV lights) are a very different wavelength to blue light/moon light bulbs. I've got a feeling that I read somewhere on this site in the past that part of the problem with black lights is something to do with causing GFP axies to glow and stressing them. Apologies for the lack of detail, I don't have black lights or flourescent axolotls, and it was something I read a long time ago, but I'm sure that the more experienced keepers can clarify the situation for you.
It sounds as if your axie is comfortable with the lights that you have.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack