The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl fight - damaged limb

This is a discussion on Axolotl fight - damaged limb within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hey guys this morning I had a fight in my aquarium and now basically one of them has a VERY ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karamarinara

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: bizoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl fight - damaged limb

Hey guys this morning I had a fight in my aquarium and now basically one of them has a VERY injured arm all bloodied up swollen and crooked.

The question is will it heal normally? Or do I need to remove the arm for it to properly grow up like new?
Thanks!

bizoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl fight - damaged limb

I wouldn't rush to amputate. Give it some time and see how it heals.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bizoot is an unknown quantity at this point

U can look at things from another perspective. If i wait and eventually it heals or at least looks healed but loses it movement abilities then I would never have the guts to amputate.

Another thing, I once read that U can put your Axie in the fridge for its metabolism to slow down and thus allowing for fastest healing time. What do you think?
Thanks!

bizoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Karamarinara is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoot View Post
Hey guys this morning I had a fight in my aquarium and now basically one of them has a VERY injured arm all bloodied up swollen and crooked.

The question is will it heal normally? Or do I need to remove the arm for it to properly grow up like new?
Thanks!
Leave it alone, the damaged bits will heal on its own. Give him his own tub and do water changes every day. Make sure it does not get infected. How well are you feeding them? Generally these things happen with underfed axos,but it can with healthy ones!

Karamarinara is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack