The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Two females or not?

This is a discussion on Two females or not? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello! About a month or so ago now, my then-wife got us two axolotls, an albino and a wildtype, named ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Josephines is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two females or not?

Hello!

About a month or so ago now, my then-wife got us two axolotls, an albino and a wildtype, named Pinky and the Brain. They've gotten so much bigger already than they were when we got them, and while Pinky's gills weren't very big or colorful, they're bright and fluffy now, though you can't see it well in pictures. I'm inclined to believe they're happy and healthy. However, since it is the first time in my life I've had axolotls and learn most of the things I know from people on here and experience itself, I find myself entirely incapable of deciding on gender. My ex-wife believes that Pinky is a boy and Brain a girl, but I'm inclined to say that they're both females. Brain's 'toe tips' have already discolored, Pinky's slightly, so I feel they might be old enough to tell now, but I just can't decide myself!

Pictures attached. If any of you could maybe provide certainty, I'd appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Two females or not?-20170117_002255.jpg   Two females or not?-20170116_204840.jpg   Two females or not?-20170116_194505.jpg  

Josephines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: roxannestags is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephines View Post
Hello!

About a month or so ago now, my then-wife got us two axolotls, an albino and a wildtype, named Pinky and the Brain. They've gotten so much bigger already than they were when we got them, and while Pinky's gills weren't very big or colorful, they're bright and fluffy now, though you can't see it well in pictures. I'm inclined to believe they're happy and healthy. However, since it is the first time in my life I've had axolotls and learn most of the things I know from people on here and experience itself, I find myself entirely incapable of deciding on gender. My ex-wife believes that Pinky is a boy and Brain a girl, but I'm inclined to say that they're both females. Brain's 'toe tips' have already discolored, Pinky's slightly, so I feel they might be old enough to tell now, but I just can't decide myself!

Pictures attached. If any of you could maybe provide certainty, I'd appreciate it!
They look female to me. I'm not an expert though

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

roxannestags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Two females or not?

The dark toe tips doesn't mean they have reached sexual maturity. However from the pics I would say female for both at this stage. Do you know how old they are? Make sure your tank has a healthy cycle established and water quality is maintained.

Tags
albino, gender, wildtype

LinkBack