The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Baby Axolotl vs. baby tiger salamander..newbie!

This is a discussion on Baby Axolotl vs. baby tiger salamander..newbie! within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi Everyone :) Sorry if this question has been asked already or if this is posted in the wrong place ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: eklinds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby Axolotl vs. baby tiger salamander..newbie!

Hi Everyone :)

Sorry if this question has been asked already or if this is posted in the wrong place but I am completely new to Axolotls and my husband and I are getting our first one this weekend! (if they still have stock at our local exotics shop that is) So here's my question- I am probably just paranoid but I've heard that baby Axolotl and baby Tiger Salamanders look almost identical as babies and that some shops don't know the difference when selling to you. We would happily keep it if it turned into a salamander don't get me wrong! But ideally we would like an Axolotl- are there any sure fire ways to know that what we are purchasing is for sure an Axolotl? (we are getting a leucistic for our first tank and the shop only has babies at the moment) thanks so much!

eklinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Felixtacat has shown reliable knowledge

Sorry I can't help much more, I don't have any experience with tiger salamanders, but if it's leucistic you can probably guarantee it's an axolotl. Leucistic tigers are a lot more rare so finding one in a pet shop isn't likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felixtacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Baby Axolotl vs. baby tiger salamander..newbie!

Thanks for the response Felixtacat! Much appreciated :) that definitely makes sense and makes me feel better, can't wait to get one this weekend!

Old 23rd February 2017   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Google pictures of axolotls and tiger larvae. You will begin to see the difference and then you will be prepared. I think it's mostly in the eyes. The tiger eyes sort of pop out a bit. Look at pics and you'll see what I mean. Also the gills, look at them.
And keep in mind some of the google pics might be misidentified, you look at enough, and you will be able to tell! Good luck.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks so much for the advice Otterwoman! I'll do that right now :)

Old 1st March 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: BreakingBrad is an unknown quantity at this point

The eyes are different. Tigers seem to have a flatter shaped head. Tigers have more of a tiger stripe pattern. The one striking difference to me is that the tigers rarely ever flick their gills where as axolotls will often do it quite frequently.

I know these things because I was in the same boat except my local pet store said they were tiger salamaders. I thought they were axolotls so we bought them and I was right. The difference becomes quite aparent if you get a chance to see them side by side.

BreakingBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks so much for the info BreakingBrad! (best show ever by the way if your name is referring to breaking bad) this was super helpful and actually might get a tiger down the road!

Old 6th March 2017   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path

And wild type tigers tend to be more unicolored, while wild type axolotls usually have some spots.

Tags
axolotl, tiger salamander

LinkBack