The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New axie and new axie owner!

This is a discussion on New axie and new axie owner! within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; After cycling my tank, I took my water sample to my pet store where I got Bowie on Sunday! They ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axobowie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation New axie and new axie owner!

After cycling my tank, I took my water sample to my pet store where I got Bowie on Sunday!
They told me that the water conditions are good for him.

I take him home and put him in my tank and feed him night crawlers. I fed him a whole crawler in bite size pieces and then another quarter of another one. He didn't hesitate to eat them.

Yesterday I came home from work and tried to feed him while I spot cleaned his tank. I found pieces of the worm that I fed yesterday in front of my filter... I'm pretty sure he threw them up. I came back after emptying the dirty water and he had a piece of worm in his mouth that I didn't feed him.

He is active and swimming all over in the tank. I'm worried that I did something wrong? Now he won't eat.

Could it be he is still acclimating to the new tank environment or that I overfed him?

axobowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path
Default Re: New axie and new axie owner!

What kind substrate did the pet store keep him on? And what are your water parameters and temperature? Pet stores are notorious for getting their ''facts'' wrong.

Old 14th March 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axobowie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New axie and new axie owner!

He was in a bare bottom tank. My tank is bare bottom as well. They didn't test the water the day I got him, instead it was the day before. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate was 0. pH was 8.2. And the GH was 8 and KH was 12.

The temp before I left for work this morning was 64.

He's also 8 months old... I forgot to include that

axobowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new axie, sick axie, threw up

LinkBack