The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tank wood questions

This is a discussion on Tank wood questions within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So I am new here. (Hi! *Waves like a crazy nut*) Well not new exactly. I've been stalking the site ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sweet Pea has shown reliable knowledge
Question Tank wood questions

Click the image to open in full size.

So I am new here. (Hi! *Waves like a crazy nut*) Well not new exactly. I've been stalking the site for a while. Working on getting an awesome tiled tank set up for a little Lotl (I really just wanted to say little Lotl). It's a 40 gal since I'm planning on getting one more later when I can identify sex (don't want eggs!) In the meantime I'm cutting tile for the bottom. Setting up the canester filter and chiller. And picking potential mosses (Why have a bare tank? Axes deserve a paradise!). I have a good peace of Malaysian driftwood already but would like another hide for my aqua babies! I came across this awesome peace from a reliable source and love it (see above). However, I am concerned if it is too jagged. It is mangrove and yes it has been sanitized. I know you guys will give it to me straight. Is this safe? Is grapewood safe? How about ceder? Is there any type of drift wood I should avoid?

Also while I'm here. I have a recommended filter (Hydor Professional External Canister Filter for 40-70 gal) with a spray bar. I was planning on getting some wood or something to go below it to help cut the current is this a good idea?

And one more (please bare with me): has anyone used Water Hawthorn in their tank before? How did it work out? They love shade and cool water so seems to me to be a great match!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you so much my dears!

Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Tank wood questions

So been doing some research. And have found out there are lots of woods that are not good for aquariums. And lots of them are sold as "Aquarium Driftwood"
Cedar
Cypress
Grape Wood
(All not good and all very common for sale for aquariums!)

How can they do that? Crazy..

Love to know if the one photoed above is ok....

Old 26th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Lol, I think I'm the only one keeping this post up. *Head desk* Ah, well. Guess I'm documenting what I find.

Just read somewhere that "seasoned" wood that has been completely dried is safe for both Bald Cypress and Ceder. Anyone have any experience with this. So much conflicting information going on...

Old 26th April 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Right-oh. So I am getting so much conflicting information on wood it is ridiculous. I REALLY need someone with some experience on wood and aquariums to weigh in. Please? Puppy dog eyes Ooooh, no wait Axi eyes may work better! Here:

Is any type of seasoned drift wood ok? How about "medium hard" type drift woods?

Sorry for being so impatient. But I'm really excited about my tank and want to get everything all set up! *Head desk* Patience Sweet Pea, patience. Not my strong suit

I have some very specific sizes I'm looking for. And DON'T want to spend a small fortune (I already paid $50+ USD on a piece I found at the LAS). Been hunting Etsy. Any recommended places (besides the woods, lakes, rivers) to find reliable wood would be nice and greatly appreciated!

Old 26th April 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Karayna is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't use cedar, pine or the likes, as they will slowly rot away and foul the water... I only use hardwood, currently using alder that I collected myself a couple of years ago from a lake (it's been boiled and baked in my oven + "curated" for a couple of years in one of my fish tanks. It's safe for my fish and so I decided to put it with my axies)!

Everything marked as "mangrove" should be safe, and not rot. And watch out for sharp edges! I'm not sure about the pics you posted - maybe smooth it down with sandpaper?

Old 26th April 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for posting Karayna! I appreciate the advice. I am concerned about the slow rot. However I've read that real seasoned Ceder driftwood will not rot.

Hmmm, may need someone with experience to help answer that. Lol, I'm a bit OCD about my pets so I want to make my tank beautiful, enriching, and safe.

Tags
axolotl, flow, hide, safety, sharp, tank, wood

LinkBack