The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Advice/Help pleeease :(

This is a discussion on Advice/Help pleeease :( within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi everyone I've had to separate my two young ones as unfortunately even though they are fed well my white ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cmw001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Advice/Help pleeease :(

Hi everyone I've had to separate my two young ones as unfortunately even though they are fed well my white girl has still decided to attack my goldies arm...quite a nasty one this time. I've had him in the fridge and also been doing salt baths for the last 4 days but I'm worried that actually his hand is just rotting away on there and if I should or should not amputate his hand....his wound is actually right down to the bone but then his little hand is just dangling and dragging along...what should I do? :/
Attached Thumbnails
Advice/Help pleeease :(-20170507_135306.jpg   Advice/Help pleeease :(-20170507_135220.jpg  

Cmw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: BrooklynD has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Advice/Help pleeease :(

I'm definitely not an expert so I'd wait for other people to chime in their opinions as well, but I think the best thing you can do right now is keep him in clean water and keep well fed and your axie will probably be on the road to recovery soon. They are very good at regenerating limbs.

BrooklynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Twigwise is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like you're doing everything right. I'd be careful with the salt, because you don't need too much, and I would think salt on the open wound could be quite painful. However, you're doing the right thing with the salt baths.

That being said, I'd also try to find a local vet that has experience with caudates, to amputate the hand properly. Do not do it yourself, as you could cause more harm or stress to the little guy, but that hand should probably be properly amputated, in order to help the healing process.

Twigwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cmw001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both very much his hand has shed all the flesh and it's just bones hanging off now so I'm hoping the flesh will regrow over the existing bone I'll monitor him as I have been doing and if no changes I'll take him into the vet I'm glad there is no bacterial or fungus infection that is definitely a good sign
Attached Thumbnails
Advice/Help pleeease :(-1494382819125-1686079236.jpg  

Cmw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path

Just like others have said, Make sure he is eating well and the water parameters are good, and he should be able to regenerate the limb.

Tags
amputate, arm, bone, infection, injury

LinkBack