The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Food Options for juvi axolotls

This is a discussion on Food Options for juvi axolotls within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi everyone! I have 3 new babies all about 3 inches, a purple, copper, and leucistic. I have been feeding ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MrsMamaRae is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Food Options for juvi axolotls

Hi everyone!
I have 3 new babies all about 3 inches, a purple, copper, and leucistic. I have been feeding them Frozen bloodworms cubes and soft pellets that I purchased from the breeder. I'm hoping to get ideas on nutritious Foods and names of pellets y'all use so I can purchase more when I run out. Thank you in advance!

MrsMamaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Eternie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food Options for juvi axolotls

How exciting!!! :)
I use for pellets, are the Reptomin floating sticks, you just kinda gotta hand feed it to them, or try to catch their eyesight when they come up for some air. You can also chop up some Earthworms (Nitecrawlers specifically) and feed it to them, earthworms are the best thing they can eat, just buy them off of amazon, because catching them outside you can't guarantee they are pesticide free. Then you can start a wormery, which is a lot cheaper than paying $30 for food when you run out.
Enjoy your new babies, they sound lovely :)

Eternie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Mkhenderson17 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's exciting! I just got mine last month. They are about the size of yours (hatched out in February). I originally got two but then I got my large aquarium set up so I got another from the same breeder. They are all from the same clutch but there is a noticeable difference in size between the ones I got first and the one I got two weeks later. She feed blood worms. I feed night crawlers and regular earth worms I find on my mom's farm when I go to visit. After just two weeks of a different diet, I defiantly think earthworms and night crawlers are the best way to go with them. Plus they are much cheaper than the blood worms! :)

Mkhenderson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Purpletotodile has given good advice and informationPurpletotodile has given good advice and information

When I first got my lotls I just hand fed them bloodworms. I took a cube, thawed it, then wriggled the worms in front of their faces. They seemed to like it. They were about four inches long at the time.

Tags
food, juvenile

LinkBack