The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Difficulty with Axolotl feeding.

This is a discussion on Difficulty with Axolotl feeding. within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Recently I got an axolotl and I have been trying to feed it different foods, starting with earthworms since I ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jacksonstc is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Difficulty with Axolotl feeding.

Recently I got an axolotl and I have been trying to feed it different foods, starting with earthworms since I heard that is the best food for them, however my axolotl won't eat and hasn't taken to any other food except mealworms which I heard aren't very good for them, I was wondering if there was anything I can do about this since I've tried many options such as, bloodworms, earthworms and pellets (these are the only foods I've been able to find in my town and know about).

jacksonstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: Difficulty with Axolotl feeding.

How big is the axolotl? Have you tried cutting the earthworms into smaller pieces? My two actually prefer one brand of earthworms over the other that I have tried. I have been told this is uncommon, but they wouldn't eat the second brand until it had been a couple of days with nothing else offered. That could be your issue. Offer just the worms for a few days and see if you get better results. Maybe the mealworms are yummier and your axie is holding out for the good stuff!

Old 4th August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: debadog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonstc View Post
Recently I got an axolotl and I have been trying to feed it different foods, starting with earthworms since I heard that is the best food for them, however my axolotl won't eat and hasn't taken to any other food except mealworms which I heard aren't very good for them, I was wondering if there was anything I can do about this since I've tried many options such as, bloodworms, earthworms and pellets (these are the only foods I've been able to find in my town and know about).
Mealworms aren't a good staple diet because they are fatty, I'm guessing that your axolotl won't eat anything else you offer him because he likes the mealworms too much! You'll just have to starve him out until he'll eat earthworms. Try cutting them up like the other person suggested, although you might need to soak them in water for a little bit after as sometimes they don't like the taste when they're cut up! He'll be fine if you skip a couple of meals to try and convince him to try something new

debadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dubs is an unknown quantity at this point

I had similar problems with store-bought earthworms. Have you tried digging around in your garden (or in a friend's)? That way, you can be assured of the freshness of the little wrigglers. My axies seem to notice the difference.

dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: debadog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
I had similar problems with store-bought earthworms. Have you tried digging around in your garden (or in a friend's)? That way, you can be assured of the freshness of the little wrigglers. My axies seem to notice the difference.
I really don't see how an axolotl would be able to tell the difference between reared earthworms and ones from your garden. There wouldn't be any difference in "freshness" either, as you are presumably feeding them to your axolotl alive, right?

You can dig up worms from the garden but there are a few problems with this. Firstly that there are different species of worm and some that axolotls will hate the taste of. Secondly that there could be contamination from pesticides or other nasties in garden worms. Even if you don't personally use pesticides in your garden they could still be absorbed in the soil from neighbouring homes, or the worms could have travelled from somewhere with pesticides to your garden. I would generally not recommend people digging up worms if they can avoid it. Plus the rate my axolotl gets through them it must take bloody ages to find enough worms to feed them, lol. If you really don't want to keep paying for them you should just buy one batch and start a wormery.

debadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, feeding, feeding axies

LinkBack