The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to reduce stress for a new axolotl

This is a discussion on How to reduce stress for a new axolotl within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi, I am receiving an axolotl for the first tie tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had some tips ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elsaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to reduce stress for a new axolotl

Hi,
I am receiving an axolotl for the first tie tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to reduce travel stress and how to introduce it to the new tank.
My tank currently has two cracked terracotta pots for hideaways, two banana lily (I heard they are really good at removing harmful stuff from the water) and two other plants which I have no idea what they are called. My pH is approximately at 7.2 and the water temp is about 19C. I currently have three feeder fish to help cycle the tank ( I heard that they are very sensitive to nitrate and ammonia levels so they are a good indicator if something is not right in the tank) that will be removed when he arrives. There is no substrate on the bottom, I will buy some if he seems distressed, my local pet store is waiting on a new delivery.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

elsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: How to reduce stress for a new axolotl

The tank is also a little cloudy, but I took the water to the pet shop to have it tested and they said it was okay (no ammonia/nitrates). they said it could be due to me putting in the terracotta pots yesterday.

Old 5th September 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Eternie is an unknown quantity at this point

You just need to acclimate it, so basically when it gets to your home it should be in a bag, hopefully triple bagged, make it so its only singled bagged, then float the bag it is in on top of the water in its tank for 15-20 minutes, which will adjust it to the water temperature perfectly, then just open the bag up and either gently tilt it in or allow it to swim in itself! :) Good Luck! :) Hope to hear about your Axie in the future! :)

Eternie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you so much!! :)

Old 10th September 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Schroedermi17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your tank doesn't sound cycled and NOT safe for an axie. Cycled tanks should have an influx of nitrate and ammonia at first. If everything is reading 0 than I can almost guarantee the water isn't cycled and has no microfauna or bacteria seeded in it.

As for settling in, axolotls being amphibians are rather simple creatures and rather dopey, as long as simple requirements are met there no reason as to why your axie shouldn't be settled in and eating within a few short days.

Schroedermi17 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack