The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hurricane prep for axies?

This is a discussion on Hurricane prep for axies? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I'm in central Florida and hurricane Irma is headed my way. I have two juvenile axies that I'm very worried ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ktc10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hurricane prep for axies?

I'm in central Florida and hurricane Irma is headed my way. I have two juvenile axies that I'm very worried about. The older one, Ra, is in a cycled 20 gallon and the younger one, Nut, is kept in a tub with about 2.5 gallons of water and 100% changes daily. Both have fans on them and my room is kept cold. They are healthy and happy little guys.
My main concern is losing power and water. If we lose power, it'll get hot inside fast. We have plenty of drinking water, but not enough for daily water changes. I have another plastic tub that I could put Ra in and I can fridge them. But the fridge may have no power so I just hope the fridge doesn't get too warm too. I could also fill up my bathtub to store water for any water changes.
I really don't know how bad it'll be, but it's not unheard of to lose power for a week or even two. What is my best course of action in this situation? Also how can I keep my 20 gallon from crashing?

Last edited by ktc10; 7th September 2017 at 04:32. Reason: Typo
ktc10 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack