The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tank water yellow early?

This is a discussion on Tank water yellow early? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Again only had a Axolotl for a few days but after only about 3-4 the waters looking yellow, i got ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: PabloSanches is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Tank water yellow early?

Again only had a Axolotl for a few days but after only about 3-4 the waters looking yellow, i got tank water from the store and filled the rest with tap and cycled for a day before getting the axolotl but the waters yellowish and ive been told i had to keep the water like this for about a month to get bacteria in the filter, not sure about this do i keep with it or do i change it in 2 weeks instead

PabloSanches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wyvell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tank water yellow early?

You are best off to let the tank cycle for 2-3 weeks with an ammonia source before adding fish/axolotl. You should do 20-30% water changes every other day for a while if you are going to cycle the tank with the axolotl inside. The yellowing is probably ammonia in the water that can make them sick. The bacteria that gets rid of this take a while to get going. Make sure to condition your water before adding it in. I recommend adding biomedia to your filter as well. I add seachem Stability to my water when I'm getting it to cycle. Plants help the process some too.
Hope this helped!

Wyvell is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack