The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is this okay??????????

This is a discussion on Is this okay?????????? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have been feeding my axolotl blood worms and occasionally brine shrimp since I got him one month ago as ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jcrose220 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Is this okay??????????

I have been feeding my axolotl blood worms and occasionally brine shrimp since I got him one month ago as a juvenile, he has been doing perfectly fine, eating normally, swimming around a lot, gills and tail are immaculate, and water parameters are perfect. All around, the healthiest little guy ever. But I fed him a few pieces of a nightcrawler worm for the first time today (about 2 hours ago) and now he just violently threw them all up and some bloodworms form the night before, and pooped out sooooo many worms it was unbelievable. It scared the hell out of me..do you think everything is OK?! Was he constipated and ate too much food, or is he sick!!! Please help before I die of worry.

jcrose220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Is this okay??????????

Maybe he just ate too much. Just feed him a little at a time for a couple days.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: smaxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is this okay??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrose220 View Post
I have been feeding my axolotl blood worms and occasionally brine shrimp since I got him one month ago as a juvenile, he has been doing perfectly fine, eating normally, swimming around a lot, gills and tail are immaculate, and water parameters are perfect. All around, the healthiest little guy ever. But I fed him a few pieces of a nightcrawler worm for the first time today (about 2 hours ago) and now he just violently threw them all up and some bloodworms form the night before, and pooped out sooooo many worms it was unbelievable. It scared the hell out of me..do you think everything is OK?! Was he constipated and ate too much food, or is he sick!!! Please help before I die of worry.
Any update on this?

How big is your axolotl?

It sounds like it's still relatively small based on feeding it brine shrimp. I know with my young ones, it is taking them longer than I would expect to keep down chunks of actual nightcrawlers, even when I thought they were pretty small pieces.

It's probably a GOOD thing the little one threw up, as it probably indicates the food was too big. I'd recommend sticking with your current diet (maybe working in pellets would be good, but again this varies by size) and revisiting in a few weeks when it has grown some more.

smaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack