The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How much and how often should i feed my axolotl.

This is a discussion on How much and how often should i feed my axolotl. within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I am getting a juvie axoltol soon and i am not sure of the size. i plan to feed him ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: chuckieee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much and how often should i feed my axolotl.

I am getting a juvie axoltol soon and i am not sure of the size.

i plan to feed him strictly on bloodowrms and maybe salmon pellets if i can find them anywhere.

are there any good tips or rules i should follow when feeding my axolotl?
i hear that feeding a cube of bloodworms every other day is sufficent.
do they use the same feeding rule as fish that is "feed as much as they can consume in 3 minutes",

should i feed them everyday or every other?

what do you guys do?.. i need suggestions please help.
chuckieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: How much and how often should i feed my axolotl.

Juvenile axolotls should be fed everyday to every other day. Since each axolotl has a different appetite it is best to observe how much it eats each day over a few days time to get a better picture of exactly how much to feed it. Bloodworms and pellets are notorious for fouling the water quickly, therefore you should remove any uneaten food after about 20 minutes.
Old 1st September 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: chuckieee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwtehunter View Post
Juvenile axolotls should be fed everyday to every other day. Since each axolotl has a different appetite it is best to observe how much it eats each day over a few days time to get a better picture of exactly how much to feed it. Bloodworms and pellets are notorious for fouling the water quickly, therefore you should remove any uneaten food after about 20 minutes.
ooohh thanks so much man.
so theyre not like fish that will overeat until they die?.
so just to be clear, i just have to put enough food in until he axie stops eating to find out exactly how much to feed him?.

thanks for all your help.
chuckieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckieee View Post
so theyre not like fish that will overeat until they die?.
I wouldn't put it past them but I have never had one do it. In general, they should be full after about 10 minutes.

Quote:
so just to be clear, i just have to put enough food in until he axie stops eating to find out exactly how much to feed him?.
Yes, after observing their feeding habits over a few days you'll be able to get an average of what they'll normally eat.
Old 3rd September 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: Erzs has given good advice and informationErzs has given good advice and informationErzs has given good advice and information

Hey!

Following the others advice on keeping track try actually noting it down. For awhile I tried memorizing it but having a pen and pad handy can be helpful with getting to know your axolotls preferred food. It's also easier to notice a pattern if it's appetite starts to head downhill! Your axolotl may also prefer a certain time to eat. All things worth noting down if you can. =]

Good luck with your new little one!
Erzs is offline   Reply With Quote