The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Broken leg?

This is a discussion on Broken leg? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi all, I am new to the forum and just recently got my first Axolot. its 3 month old now. ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ddam19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broken leg?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and just recently got my first Axolot. its 3 month old now.

My question is one of his front legs seems to be broken in a way as it doesn't use it to walk a lot and keeps it by his side. It can use it but tends not to like the others.

This is something that will heel in time. Has anyone else had an issue like this.

Sorry most of it doesn't make sense but it's hard to explain.

Thanks in advance.
Adam
ddam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SapphireTigress has started on the right path
Default Re: Broken leg?

Do you have a picture of the leg? I'm a total noob to axolotls but i know from keeping other herps that pics are a HUGE help in a case like this. I've also seen some examples of axies having deformed legs. In any case, a good picture of the leg would be helpful. :)
SapphireTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information

I have an adult female that has a front left leg that has the same or similar issue with the elbow. She gets around fine and it hasn't been an issue as of yet. She has not used it since she was a juvie and has shown little to no sign of healing.

Hope that helps.
Old 14th April 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: thorneinmyside is an unknown quantity at this point

Back when I first got my axies, I was feeding them and one freaked out and I had the water too high and it flipped out of the tank onto the floor (It was about 10 Weeks old) about 3 feet down and broken its back leg and did what you are describing. hes perfectly fine now though.
thorneinmyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ddam19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for such a late reply. Haven' had the internet. His leg looks fine and he appears to be using more normally now.

Thanks for your response.
Adam,
ddam19 is offline   Reply With Quote