The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Why has my two year old axolotl always looked ragged?

This is a discussion on Why has my two year old axolotl always looked ragged? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have had my axolotl for about two years. I first heard about him when my friend saw him in ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Why has my two year old axolotl always looked ragged?

I have had my axolotl for about two years.
I first heard about him when my friend saw him in a local reptile store by himself. Knowing I had recently lost my last one, she sent me a picture.
When I went and brought the little guy home, I noticed his tail had the appearance of being dragged on the ground. Very shabby looking. He also had a wonky gill branch that was missing some frill and a leg that was much smaller than his other legs.*Knowing about their regenerative properties, I figured everything would heal in time, but here nearly two years later, all that's healed is his leg. I'm not bothered by it, and he doesn't seem to be either. I think it adds some character. I'm just wondering if there's any defect I should be aware of that may effect his health, or the health of any offspring as I have been half considering breeding him.

Lemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defect, deformed, disease, genetic, gills, injury, legs, tail

LinkBack