The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?

This is a discussion on Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus? within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So I have had my 2 axies for almost a year now and everything was going smoothly until 5 days ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Minniechild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Vyrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?

So I have had my 2 axies for almost a year now and everything was going smoothly until 5 days ago when my golden axie attacked my wild type. The wild was left with no tail and severely injured legs (all four). I separated them and changed the water right away and took him/her to a vet to see if there was anything they could do but every vet I spoke to including that one seemed clueless. Fungus (cloudy white) started growing on all four limbs as well as the nub that is left of his/her tail. Now all four legs seem to be dead (can hardly recognize them and they are jelly-like and turning white. I touched them lightly to see if it bothered the axie but no response. I was giving salt baths for the fungus but am not having any luck. He/she is not very responsive now and I am not sure what I should do or if anything can even be done to save him/her. I am going to attach some pictures I took. I am willing to try whatever I can to help save him/her if it is still possible. If not, should I just let him/her die naturally? I feel so bad Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?-photo.jpg   Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?-photo-1-.jpg   Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?-photo-2-.jpg  

Vyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Minniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?

Do you have him in the fridge? At the moment it can buy you time, and will help him/her de-stress. Next thing is we need one of the vets on here to write out a set of instructions you can take to a vet you think will be okay to do the amputations. The main issues are going to be keeping him/her cool, sedating him/her for the proceedure, blood loss and minimising the recurrence of fungal infection after the proceedure.
Keep your head up, we'll all be thinking of you!

Old 2nd December 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Thintros is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah!! a very similar thing happened with an axie I just recieved. I hope another answer turns up soon so I can get help too. Ill post the info on my problem shortly.. there is no fungus, but the tail is a stumpy looking bit now and her legs dont seem as bad as yours.. I hope yours recovers well.

also, mine needs to eat, but it might be too late i really hope not.

Thintros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: ebonykrow has shown reliable knowledgeebonykrow has shown reliable knowledge

Oh my goodness! Poor thing, I have no advice but I was wondering if you know why the axolotl suddenly attacked it so ferociously?

Tags
axie, axolotl, dying, fight, injury, legs, paralyze, tail

LinkBack