The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

This is a discussion on URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs. within the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Recently one of my axolotls laid some eggs, and I have decided that I cannot take care of 100 axolotls ...

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Morrison
  • 1 Post By ciele02
  • 1 Post By Kaysie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DomDaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

Recently one of my axolotls laid some eggs, and I have decided that I cannot take care of 100 axolotls once they are hatched so I decided to sell some of the eggs. Already have had plenty of people contacting me about buying the eggs, however I need a bit of help.

The ones I've already sent off have been the ones that were loosely placed at the bottom of the tank. However, these are running out. Does anyone know a good method to get the eggs of ornaments such as rocks and plastic containers?

If anyone can give me some tips of how to ship etc (although I think I have it covered) that would be awesome!!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.-image.jpg  
Attached Images

DomDaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: URGEN HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

You can carefully use your nails to 'scrape' them off. You might damage some but it's mostly the outside layer of the egg. The egg itself is inside this goo (or something like that. So it won't be a problem)

Old 7th August 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks, I used a spoon to get some of them. Worked pretty well. I might use my nail on the next set I send off.

Does anyone know how strong the eggs are? Are they durable at all?

(I don't want to send someone eggs knowing they will not survive.)

Old 9th August 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ciele02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, the eggs are extremely durable because of being surrounded by so much jelly. Also when you get hold of some jelly and gently pull they will often come off in a long strong making it easy to get a few at a time...I would use my fingers though not a spoon...just to you know how much pressure you're really using. I was very nervous first time I did this but I was really surprised just how strong they are.

ciele02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

Thanks for that. Yeah I started using my nails + the spoon just for support. I think a couple eggs got damaged after I got impatient the first few times but after a while it went fine.

Old 11th August 2013   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

I put the leaves and such between 2 fingers and 'scrape' the leaf, and the eggs come off pretty easily. Like others have said, they're quite tough.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, eggs, shipping

LinkBack