The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Purple Axolotls Where are they all at?

This is a discussion on Purple Axolotls Where are they all at? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I keep hearing about purple axolotls for the past couple years but I have only actually seen a small handful ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rachel1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2015   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Purple Axolotls Where are they all at?

I keep hearing about purple axolotls for the past couple years but I have only actually seen a small handful of pictures and actual owners? Why is that? Are they week and die off before adulthood. You would think there would be thousands out there by now but it doesn't seem to me the case.

Old 11th January 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Purple Axolotls Where are they all at?

One theory is that purples are axanthic, and since the axanthic gene is faily rare so are the purple axies. Add to this the tendency of non-albino axanthics to be a bit weak, and you've got a rare colour.

Old 12th January 2015   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

If they are breeding true and are a strong line someone should be producing thousands every year by now but that isn't the case.

Old 12th January 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information

If it is in fact a variation on the axanthic mutation, survival rates are low because they all carry a virus. Only the ones that are also albino are hardy animals. Here's an article on the skin in axanthic animals that mentions the virus they found.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack