The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New to the community, few concerns

This is a discussion on New to the community, few concerns within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everybody, I am a new owner of axolotl's with a few more on the way. From my research I ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Skudo09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: codyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool New to the community, few concerns

Hello everybody,
I am a new owner of axolotl's with a few more on the way. From my research I noted that they are to be fed every other day, but with juveniles of other species it is suggested everyday, so I am unsure whether or not to feed them daily until they are older. Another concern I have is that one of the Axolotl's I received either has no eyes or they are white. I noticed that it is notorious for swimming into the glass and the hide, not sure whether it is blind or still adjusting to the environment.
Thanks,
Cody

codyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: New to the community, few concerns

Basically you want to aim for the axolotl's belly to be as wide as the width of their head. If their belly width is smaller than the width of their head, increase how often you feed them. For juveniles I would feed every day. Once they become adults, you can decrease their feeds to every other day or even every two to three days.

Are you able to post a picture of the eyes? Axolotls normally don't have great eyesight and don't have good brakes and tend to run into tank walls and objects even when they have normal eyes so I don't think that is anything to worry about

Tags
axolotl, blind, help and advice needed, juveniles

LinkBack