The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best ways to get juveniles to eat?

This is a discussion on Best ways to get juveniles to eat? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have two juvenile axys that I'm having a hard time feeding both (7cm long). I've been giving them small ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SheFoxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best ways to get juveniles to eat?

I have two juvenile axys that I'm having a hard time feeding both (7cm long). I've been giving them small earth worms about 5cm cut in half (so 2.5 cm) but after a week of eating normally they won't swallow the worm, they will just bite at it and then spit the worm out. I've thought about trying blood worms but I've herd they are very messy. I also have tried to feed they sinking axolotl pellets but they wouldn't eat them or even try.

I am very worried about them, these are my first axolotls and I don't anything bad to happen to them.

SheFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Best ways to get juveniles to eat?

Live bloodworms or blackworms are a great option. At that size they may still need live food, so pellets are not an option yet.

Old 5th June 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SheFoxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best ways to get juveniles to eat?

I got them eating just fine by rinsing the worms in warm water first! Both of them have gotten fat and are very friendly!

SheFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Post Re: Best ways to get juveniles to eat?

A few of my Axolotl are around 7cm too, I've managed to move them on to small pellets.. JBL NovoLotl - Aquatis Fresh water - JBL

They snap them up as soon as they are dropped in front of their mouths. If you use tweezers you can drop them directly in front so they can't miss them, I always pick them up and try again if they miss it first time. The little guys are at the surface of the water every time I go near their tubs waiting for me to feed them now. I still feed them blood worm and brine shrimp too for a more varied diet. As blood worm can be messy you can use a syringe, I use.. PP Disposable Syringes Applicators BD Becton Dickinson ALL SIZES Sterile Luer | eBay
This way you can choose the amount you feed and then easily clean up any waste.

Tags
feeding, food advice, juvenile

LinkBack