The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl color variation

This is a discussion on Axolotl color variation within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, i was just curious as in how is it that there are different colors in axolotls. i read in ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: lalokera is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolotl color variation

Hello, i was just curious as in how is it that there are different colors in axolotls.
i read in on a website that its because they are hybrid mixed with ambystoma tigrinum.
is this true? also do axolotls every loose the gills?

lalokera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl color variation

Axolotls very rarely morph into terrestrial salamanders, they are neotenic and stay aquatic unless treated with hormones to make them morph.

It is true that many generations ago a tiger salamander was used to intorduce the albino genes into the species, but our 'pet' axolotls are only very distantly related to these.

There are 5 main colours of axolotl: wildtype (green/brown), albino (pink/yellow with pale eyes), leucisitc (pink with black eyes), melanoid (grey/black) and copper (red-brown/orange). There is a very good section on axolotl.org, and I wrote an explanation for a Facebook group here.

Old 2nd June 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: lalokera is an unknown quantity at this point

:O thanks alot than probably people in mexico confuse the axolotl with some other salamander i think it might be the ambystoma velasci, because i went to pet shops and they tried to sell me a salamander that sort of looked like an axolotl but didnt have the gills and was verry thin. and also if i have a wild type axolotl can he produce other types ? or will he always produce wild types?....thanks

lalokera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: gregory741 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you have a wild type Its offspring's can have all different coloring

Tags
axie, axies, axolotl, color variation

LinkBack