The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How do you train the young axolotls to eat pellets?

This is a discussion on How do you train the young axolotls to eat pellets? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Dear all, I've been feeding my young axies (~2months) initially with baby brine shrimps and now I've switched them to ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Errffy02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you train the young axolotls to eat pellets?

Dear all,
I've been feeding my young axies (~2months) initially with baby brine shrimps and now I've switched them to live black worms. As it's getting quite expensive feeding them with live black worms since theres like 20 of them, I tried feeding them with pellets that I've broken into tiny pieces. Initially they take it in, but several seconds later, they spit it out. I've tired this several times, and they simply refuse to ingest pellets. Should I just starve them for a couple more days and perhaps they might eat it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks heaps !!

Errffy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: How do you train the young axolotls to eat pellets?

Moving them onto pellets can take some time, not giving them food for a day or so can help them be more interested in the pellets, I had the same issue with mine. It could be that the size your breaking the pellets into are just too big, which means they cant swallow easily, really depends on the size.

Old 16th November 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Errffy02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried starving them and breaking the pellets into a quarter to feed them.
They initially take it in, chew on it for a moment and two and spit it out.
I'm just afraid they might start feasting on one another if they become too hungry.
I guess i might have to stick to worms for now.

Errffy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

How big are the pellets your using? and can you post some pictures of your Axolotls?

My Axolotls kept spitting them out at first, they came round eventually. But I can see your worry about them potentially nipping at each other when they become more hungry. I just kept feeding blackworm and daphnia but in smaller quantities and then kept trying to feed pellets everyday, they got the hang of it eventually

Old 16th November 2015   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Just to give a bit more info on my experiences with starting on pellets:

I used these small sized pellets for my juveniles:
https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=prod...detail&id=4996

They are formulated for the nutritional needs of Axolotl.

I would cut these into smaller chunks and feed with tweezers like these:
http://newimg.globalmarket.com/PicLi...rkykc045_l.jpg

I just kept dropping them infront of the Axolotl, enticing them by moving the tweezers slowly in front of their heads.

As I said, it took awhile but once they get used to it they will eventually take a whole pellet. Then once my Axolotls are around 18cm I'll start feeding the Novolotl XL pellets which are bigger in size.

I now do a mix of worms and pellets!

LinkBack