The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Lychee the Leucistic lotl

This is a discussion on Lychee the Leucistic lotl within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Ive noticed my leucistic lotl's gills have shrunken while I was away overnight. I believe he or she has been ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: amandahiilani is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Lychee the Leucistic lotl

Ive noticed my leucistic lotl's gills have shrunken while I was away overnight. I believe he or she has been swallowing a lot of sand. I saw it trying to poop but looked stuck. The legs sometimes are raised and lots is big like bloating. decrease in appetite is observed. Tail is curled 6/10 times when I check on the lotl. Not sure what is wrong.

amandahiilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Lychee the Leucistic lotl

Have you checked the parameters?

If Lychee is eating sand it is probably best to remove the sand. It should hopefully pass in time if that is what is happening.

Old 15th November 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I woke up this morning to find my Lychee unresponsive. unfortunately now I am caring for one less axolotl.

Old 16th November 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Question Re: Lychee the Leucistic lotl

Due to extreme sadness I had procrastinated and put off the burial. Thank goodness I did because half an hour after discovering the death of my precious baby, Lychee's heart was beating again and my little lotl was swimming around. I was very confused because I had checked for a heartbeat this morning and there was none but now it is beating again. uhh. Don't know how to feel about having a zombie lotl...

Old 16th November 2015   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information

It sounds like you need to take him to a vet.

Old 16th November 2015   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Do you check your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH? Ammonia and Nitrites are produced from your Axolotls waste and possibly left over food in the water. Usually the gills shrink because your water quality is high in Ammonia and Nitrites, these two toxins BURN they will damaged your Axolotls skin and gills and eventually kill him. Your tank is required to be 'cycled'.

Read these links:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

It should be your priority to keep your tank cycled, and free of these toxins or your Axolotls will not be healthy and be prone to die.

I'm not sure how your checking for heart beats but I would not handle your Axolotl by hand.

Put your Axolotl in a separate container/tub and change the water 100% everyday with cool dechlorinated water, this is the best way to give him a chance to survive as he needs clean water to allow the healing process.

Tags
axie, bloating, shrinking gills, sick?, swallowing substrate

LinkBack